OUR NOVEMBER 2014 NEWSLETTER IS NOW AVAILABLE:
Monday, October 13, 2014 at 11 am - Annual Columbus Day Parade March & Luncheon
On Monday, October 13th, the Association will march in the Annual Columbus Day Parade. At 11am, we meet at the large clock on the West side of Fifth Avenue and East 44th Street. Lunch will follow at Per Lei Restaurant located at 1347 Second Avenue (Corner of 71st St). The cost to participate is $55.00. Your RSVP via the ONLINE PORTAL is required no later than Friday, October 10th. Please see the attached flyer in our October Newsletter for more details. We encourage all to attend this family friendly event and set your DVRS so you can see yourself on television!
Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 6 pm - 2 CREDIT CLE DINNER MEETING at the Columbus Club
On Wednesday, November 5th, we have a great CLE Dinner General Meeting lined up for you from the Honorable Joseph J. Maltese of the Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department. Justice Maltese will be lecturing on the admissibility of experts and their reports. You must RSVP to attend using our Online Portal (CLICK HERE). At this meeting we are also scheduled to have our elections.
On September 10th, the Board of Directors met as the Nominating Committee and selected the following slate of Officers and Directors for the upcoming term commencing on January 1, 2015:
President – Stephen J. Savva Christopher A. Quaranta – 2015
First Vice President – Maria A. Guccione Vincent Apicella – 2015
Second Vice President – Marianne E. Bertuna Hon. John DiChiaro – 2017
Treasurer – Sigismondo Renda Matthew Grieco – 2017
Executive Secretary – Paolo A. Strino Hon. John A. Perrone – 2017
Recording Secretary – Ottavio Mannarino
Financial Secretary – Suzanne J. Adams
Corresponding Secretary – Clara Flebus
Parliamentarian – Joseph Longo
Candidates for the aforementioned offices may be nominated other than by the Nominating Committee, by petition in writing, signed by at least five (5) members of the Association in good standing. Any such petitions must be delivered to the Executive Secretary Paolo A. Strino at firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than ten (10) days following the October 1, 2014 General Meeting. Elections will be held at our November 5, 2014 General Meeting.
Our Mission Statement:
- To function as a Bar Association comprised of lawyers of Italian ancestry.
- To maintain a program that provides continuing legal education for members of the Bar.
- To make charitable contributions to worthy law students in the form of scholarships.
- To honor Italian Culture, Innovation, Achievement and Heritage with lectures and study.
We are proud to participate in the judicial screening process, appointing members of Columbian Lawyers Association to the New York Supreme and Civil Court screening panels. The panels convene every April. It is time consuming but rewarding work, contributing to the selection of qualified candidates for election to our Courts.
From the President:
Dear Members and Friends:
We look forward to an exciting year, and we, as an organization, seek to achieve the following goals:
- Continue to promote and develop a monthly CLE program with informative and entertaining lectures to provide the most enjoyable method of acquiring requisite CLE credits for both our Italo-American Members and our Member Friends.
- Strengthen our bond with our associated CLA organizations in neighboring counties through enhanced communication and jointly sponsored events.
- Enlighten and entertain all CLA Members with Italian cultural outings and programs.
- Cultivate newly admitted Italo-American attorneys as new Members, Officers, Directors and Committee participants.
- Enhance our Scholarship program with added promotion and fund-raising.
- Raise awareness of our organization through an active public relations campaign.
Stephen J. Savva, Esq., President